3/07/2009

Almost Two Weeks

I realized today that in my desire to get the birth story written, I haven't posted anything about us or our transition to parenting two children. Silly me...or probably more appropriately...very tired me!

First - Connor is just a dream baby. He sleeps 4-5 hour stretches at night, waking to feed and then going right back down for another 3-4 hour stretch. He isn't at all finicky about his environment. He is in our room and will sleep just fine with the light on, the tv on and us talking. Doesn't phase him in the slightest.

He is breast feeding. After being relatively certain that she wouldn't, Kelly decided that she wanted to breastfeed and has had a very successful time of it. In the beginning, we suplemented with formula (for various reasons), but cut the formula completely out when we got home and Kelly's milk came in. Now, Connor feeds at the brest 95% of the time and bottle feeds pumped breast milk the rest of the time. Kelly is a milk goddess - pumping 3-5 ounces every 4 hours or so. Connor is getting plenty to eat! We haven't saved any yet, because we are trying to regulate Kelly's supply down a bit to more match his consumption. I'm not sure how long we will continue to breast feed, and shortly we will begin to freeze some for returning to work. But for now, we are just pumping what we will feed at the next feeding.

Connor is a little guy, which is a bit strange for us. Bailey was born into size 1 diapers and moved into size 2 diapers within a month. Connor is still in newborn diapers and they are just now fitting perfectly. We have relatively few clothes that actually fit him, even though we have a big supply of newborn clothes. They are just big on him. His little legs are like twigs. Bailey's were very juicy - we 3 rolls in her upper thigh and big juicy rolls on her ankles. Connor is completely different. He's just a tiny little thing.

Bailey is doing alright with the big sister thing. She adores Connor...but isn't so happy when my time gets taken away from her. If there has been a transition thing, it's been that she is much more clingy and whiny. She wants her bobo all the time and throws huge fits when I refuse. Kelly is just now integrating back into the family after the beginning of her recovery. She can finally walk and sit comfortably. Her presence is taking some of the heat of me. It's much easier on Bailey when our ratio is 1-1. I spend lots of time holding Connor when Bailey is around and so far, she is doing fine with that. I think it helps that she is still in daycare and that her routine hasn't been completely disrupted.

As for Kelly, she is doing well. It has been a long two weeks for her (on the heels of a long 3rd trimester). She is finally starting to feel "normal". Her staples are out and she is down to taking percocet every 6 hours, with 800 mg motrin alternating. She is, of course, unable to lift Bailey still (and will be unable for a long time), but she is really starting to feel a lot better.

I'm doing well too. I think that I am exhausted, but I don't really feel it. I just kind of feel like the energizer bunny. There are a million things to do and sometimes I force myself to stop doing them and take a nap. I'm so glad that I'm home right now...because I don't know what I would do if I had to work. I am looking forward to going back...but so appreciative of this time.

Speaking of napping...I got about 3 hours of sleep last night between Bailey sleeping poorly, my mom leaving at 2 AM and Connor awake in between all of that. So, I'm off to take a nap! I'll write more later...

No comments: