4/11/2007

Week 38...and BED REST!

Last night, we spent some time at labor and delivery again. I was having some blurry vision and lots and lots of swelling. Last time I didn't call my doctor immediately, and he got really mad at me. So, even though I felt like a horse's ass, I called. They asked me to come in and get checked. So, we trooped in. They hooked me up for 4 hours, took my blood and tested it and tested my urine. Everything came back perfect. Bailey is happily ensconced in my uterus and she is showing no signs of distress. My blood pressure was perfect, my body is still hanging in there.

I, however, am not. Kelly finally got tired of me trying to act like Wonder Woman and laid out our schedule for the doctor. She described me trying to get up at 4 AM every day, commuting to work, working, commuting home and then not sleeping for all the stress. She described how much I take on and how I hold myself to a completely unrealistic standard. Listening to her made me cry. I was actually able to hear what my situation is like through the eyes of someone watching me try to get through it and I just couldn't help myself.

So, my doctor has put me on bed rest. Not stuck-in-bed bed rest...just no working. I've been instructed to sleep often, relax lots and generally focus on nothing but getting myself and my body ready for the marathon of childbirth and the first months of Bailey's life.

The doctor's orders open up a whole new pot of money for me, and it's likely that I will not see any decrease in my pay. Which is another very, very important thing. I will also not lose anytime with Bailey after the birth - the medical leave is separate from the maternity leave.

I feel like a million pound weight has been lifted off my shoulders. I slept well for the first time in weeks last night. Of course, that might have also been the Tylenol PM that she told me to take.

So, for now, I'm at home. I'm going to do exactly what the doctor ordered and not push myself. I'm going to rest. For perhaps the first time in my life...I'm going to truly rest for an extended period of time.

In other news...WE ARE FULL TERM! At least, we are 37 weeks. At this point, Bailey is free to make her appearance whenever she is ready. We have a doctor's appointment today and that should let us know if we are any closer than we were last week. For now, we are still in the waiting game and Miss. Bailey is still growing. I'll post later and let you know how the appointment goes...

Here is the Week 38 development:

Fetal development in pregnancy week 38:fetus in ninth month

As you know full well, you've arrived at the final leg of the journey, and if you're still carrying your little love around, they've just about reached their birth weight (somewhere between 6 to 8 pounds is average depending on whether they're a boy or girl). There really isn't a lot to report on baby this week, so lets do a quick recount of where we're at: all internal organ systems are pretty much ready for the outside world, they've got their meconium stockpile building up (their first black baby poo), lots of healthy baby fat, a rapidly developing brain (that'll keep growing with them for years to come), and they've more or less reached official baby status-- all they need to do is "head out" and say hello to the rest of the world and especially their ready-to-pop momma.

And how's mom doing?

Hang in there momma, it's only a matter of time before the obnoxious and painful fake contractions you felt in your back, lower belly, and pelvic region will be replaced by real contractions... which are even more obnoxious and painful. You'll know when the real ones kick in because they're more intensely painful (woo!) and they spread over the entire uterus, through the lower back and into your pelvis.

If you're having trouble sleeping (which about 100% of women in this phase of pregnancy are), try to take little catnaps during the day, get one of those neato full-body pregnancy pillows, or at least lots of pillows that you can shove between your legs and under your belly to support your awkward shape more comfortably. Also, if you're feeling weird electrical tingles in your legs and inside your vagina -- this would be none other than your not-so-little baby hitting various nerves as they settle into the pelvic area. If you're feeling sharp shooting pains instead of tingles, this would be your extra evil-but-adorable baby pressing on your oh-so-very sensitive sciatic nerve. All we can recommend is some wincing, sitting down, and putting your feet up...OUCH!

No comments: