1/17/2007

Week 26...and more!

Okay - you may have noticed that I've gone from week 24 to week 26. I promise you that I'm not going crazy...I was just a little confused last week. The way that it works is that as of today, I have completed a full 25 weeks of pregnancy. For the next seven days, I'll be working through my 26th week. So, while Kelly and I will say that I'm 25 weeks pregnant, I'm actually further along than that (by mere days). Why do you care, you may be asking.

BECAUSE OF MY NEW WEEKLY TRADITION!

I'm going to be posting the information for week 26 today, so that you all know what is happening during this lovely, lovely week of transformation! Only one more week to go until I'm in my third trimester!!! WOO HOOO!!!! OH...and the italicized additions to the weekly progress below are mine. I just can't help but interject every now and then...
One more thing (cause I have lots to say today...). I am in love with my new body. If I haven't mentioned that yet, I though it was important to say. Many, many women think they are "fat" during pregnancy. I was "fat" before, so I don't have to deal with that drama. Much more important than that, I think my new curves are incredibly sexy. I can't speak for Kelly, but I suspect that she agrees. I feel more womanly than I ever have. Not even just in my body, just in my heart and mind as well. I love to rub my hands over my belly, feel our child kick and know that the power to comfort, soothe and calm rests in my hands. People are more drawn to me. They are attracted to my smile, but also to what I think is a new calm that I exude. It's an interesting tranformation. I've gone from being a generally cute dyke with lots of curves, to being a woman...in the truest sense of that word. In the same ways that babies (whether they were hers or not) used to curl up on my mother's breasts and fall right asleep, I have the same energy. My restlessness has been calmed (for now). I just feel at peace. And sexy. Like I've never felt before.

With that said, let's get busy exploring what'll happen this week!


Weeks of Pregnancy Completed: 25
Weeks Until I'm Full-Term (37 weeks): 13
Weeks Until our Due Date (May 2st): 15
Fetal development in pregnancy week 26:fetus in sixth month
At long last, your little swimmer can see the womb! Your miracle’s little eyelids have finally separated (they were fused closed previously) and they’re probably having their first moments of sight as you read this (or maybe it already happened while you were brushing your teeth or watching Oprah or something). In addition to seeing their little studio in your belly, they’ve recently acquired the ability to say “yes” and “no” in rudimentary sign language as they can now move their head back and forth. This is also the time where your little super star’s head hair is starting to grow (actually, our little honey alread has some as evidenced by the 4D pictures from last week!)! A cute little cowlick or two may be springing into position right now, getting ready for years of cute-but-stubborn bed-head. Also, their toenails have grown in and you little raisin continues to slowly pile up fat beneath their still-loose skin. Most importantly, brain tissue and neurons are all developing at a rapid pace, increasing their (genius-level?) brain activity and will continue to function at accelerated levels for the first seven to eight years of childhood!
And how's mom doing?
This is the final week of your second trimester (thanks heavens for that!). As you’ve probably already heard about it plenty, we won’t go on and on about constipation. But if you’re curious why you’ve got to put up with this much-less-than-fun blockage, it’s basically because you’re producing higher levels of progesterone—which can relax muscle tissue throughout your entire body, including the G.I. tract—which ultimately slows digestion down… waaaay down. Not to fear, there are plenty of natural remedies for the joys of constipation, including: increasing your standard fiber intake with fruits and veggies, oatmeal, or whole grains (such as millet, rye and wheat) (let me just interject here...I eat an Activia yogurt every single morning. It's small, not many calories and has five grams of protien. More importantly, it keeps the bowels moving. Like clockwork. About 10 minutes after I've finished eating it. It works. I hate to be graphic, but for all you other pregnant ladies...this stuff REALLY does work. And it's calcium. And protein. Vanilla is the best) . Another way to get things moving "down there" is to get yourself moving! If you haven’t been very active, try putting some time walking or swimming. Increasing your general activity levels often inspires a bowel movement without requiring a suppository. Many women also experience restless and jittery legs during the second half of pregnancy. It’s a common condition known as Restless Leg Syndrome (or RLS—not a very creative name). Cutting out caffeine (yeah, right), stretching your calf muscles slowly, and some nice and deep muscle massages (are you listening, love???) are generally effective ways to help deal with RLS.

No comments: