11/07/2006

Political Me

Okay - here is my pitch. I'm dedicating this one to the little non-profit that still feels like "mine" even though I don't work there anymore.

VOTE.

I don't care if you are Republican or Democrat (well, I do, but whatever). No matter which way you swing, today is the day. One thing that I learned while working with high school students is that it doesn't matter what your philosphy is, what matters is that you care enough to get out there and be heard.

We all stand on our soap boxes about the issues. We all care "passionately" when it's gay rights being given or taken away, or the war being fought or lost, or abortions being provided or not. What that never seems to translate into is taking the time out of our days to get out there and VOTE when it's time.

So, if you can't do it for yourself, do it for me. It is too important that we be heard - no matter what our voices are saying.

Tonight you'll find a pregnant me - tired, cranky and ready to just sit down - standing in line (probably under an umbrella) to vote a straight D ticket. I care enough. I hope that you do too.

No comments: