5/01/2009

For Our Bailey

Two years ago, your Mommy and I were in the hospital.  We had just woken from a very restless nights sleep full of cervidil and contractions.  We were preparing for a day of pitocin and what we hoped would be dilation and delivery.  We were so ready for you and May 1 seemed like a perfectly good day to have you.  

Of course, that is not how it worked.  You were very comfortable inside of my body, my Bailey.  You were also wrapped up tight in the cord, so even if you were not very comfortable, you couldn't do much to help yourself.  We tried pitocin all day to no avail.  The attempts went into the next day...the day you finally joined us.  

You were born with a loud, piercing cry.  You were born big with a shock of black hair.  You were pink and moved quickly into bright red as you screamed at those of us who would force you into this world.  You came out as spirited and as fiesty as you are today.  

We had so many dreams, so many hopes, so many unbelievable misconceptions about parenting.  You taught us moment by moment what it meant to be your parent.  What it was to be your Mommy and your Momma.  

And, oh, how we loved you!  God, the rush was amazing.  Seeing your face and knowing that you were the child we had waited for.  We were shocked, we were tired, we were no prepared for what was coming...but we were so in love with you.

And we still are.  You have become such an amazing child.  You are all the things I admire the most - you are charismatic, ballsy, funny, boisterous.  You are intense and full of energy.  You bend life to suit you in a way that is so complete, I can't help but be impressed.  I adore you when you make me laugh when I'm trying to punish you.  You are so completely a part of every moment of my life, that I cannot seperate my love for you from my need to breathe.  You are me and I am you and the essential task of seperating the two is what parenting you is all about.  

Our child.  Our baby.  Our daughter.  We love you.  More than I can say and more than you'll ever know or comprehend.  Happy Birthday, tomorrow, B Bubbles.

1 comment:

specks0615@aol.com said...

beautiful - i'm crying