11/13/2008

Big Changes

There are big changes coming down the pike for me. It is 99% sure that I will take on the role of Benefits Coordinator in my law firm at the end of the year.

I will be leaving my current department and completely changing the work that I am doing. And honestly, it will be a huge change. New boss, new coworkers and most of all, completely new job functions.

I don't have any experience in Benefits. Nothing real, anyway. I've dabbled a bit in my current job, but have never administered benefits to an entire firm. I have gotten this opportunity because I have been so successful in my current position and they have confidence in my ability to learn the job quickly and get this area under control. The current Benefits Coordinator is completely failing at keeping the job in control. The organization is non-existant and the work coming out of her department is inaccurate and shoddy.

I'm being tasked with fixing it, giving the Benefits area credibility and learning it all while I am doing it. With very little training and even less supervision. The HR manager, who will become my new boss, knows very little about the area of benefits.

So, it's all on me.

I'm extremely excited. Mostly, I'm excited because this is a career path that I'm interested in pursuing. Eventually, I will take my knowledge and move into the government. The government pension is a huge draw for both me and Kelly. The continuation of health care benefits upon retirement is another.

I've done a lot since I started working at real jobs in 2002. I know a lot about law firms in general, and have spent all but 2 years (where I worked for an incredible non-profit that gave me the confidence to do my job now) working in the law firm environment. I'm certain that I can do this job, but it's going to be a challenge.

I'm excited by the change. I'm excited to feel like I'm advancing my career in a way that makes sense for the long-term. I'm proud that my reputation is so strong that the senior management of this firm has confidence in my ability to excel in an area that I have no background in. I'm delighted that my work load will be cut in half.

I'm mostly just excited because I know that I can do this job. I know that I can be good at it.

2 comments:

Karen B Prosser said...

Mikki,

YOU GO, GIRL!

Karen

Susanica said...

Congrats!!!!