10/02/2008

An Unlikely Place

Kelly and I find ourselves in the completely unfamiliar territory of agreeing 100% with the conservative republicans that are voting down the bailout. Strange. Really, really strange.

I may get a bunch of hate mail for this, but here's the thing. If you made SMART decisions, decisions not driven by the mortgage lender, by your own desire to own the biggest home on the block and your need to define your place in society by what you own, you wouldn't be in the position of losing your home. Period. Everyone has a choice in this. Everyone. I am so tired of the talk of bailing out the people and companies that were not honest with themselves and their finances back when they had that chance.

Now, this bailout certainly isn't bailing out any of the little people, so I'll get off that topic. But the financial systems are in the same position. Because of over-valued property (in a completely ridiculous way, I might add) and corporate greed, we find ourselves in the position of having to face the music.

Perhaps I'm being shortsighted, but I'm not so sure that long-term recession would be so bad for this country. A little poverty, failed businesses all over the place and one BIG FUCKING REMINDER to live within your means.

As for those companies that everyone seems to find so crucial that our children will be paying for this pork-filled bill, well they can fuck off. Let 'em die. That's what I say. They deserve it.

I have enough trust in the capitalist system (which I hate, by the way) to know that it will bounce back. If we all lose a tanker load of value in our stocks, they will eventually come back. Our market will self-correct. No amount of government-injected, tax-payer funded dollars will prevent the system from doing what it will.

So, rock on conservative republicans. This may be the only time I ever agree with you...but I'm sure backing you now.

No comments: