9/02/2008

Middle Class Squeeze

Kelly and I realized last night that we fall right in the middle of the middle-class vice that is squeezing everyone. And it pisses us off.

We make good money, all told. We both have good jobs and our combined income is certainly not too shabby. Especially for two girls who are 29 and 33. With that said, we can't seem to put it all together in a way that makes sense. I don't want to bitch about our finances - because that would make Kelly uncomfortable - but we are both frustrated.

So, we're making some cuts. We have this triple play internet, phone and digital cable package that is a hold over from when I was on maternity leave. We're getting rid of it. We're getting rid of our at-home internet connection and phone entirely. We don't need a home phone - we both have cell phones and everyone knows those numbers. Call us on them. We're getting rid of the internet, because there isn't anything we can't do at work. We spend most of our time at work anyway. And we don't need the expense of at home internet service right now when we barely use it. Kelly is never online at home, and I don't need to be.

As for cable, we're stepping back down to our $16 a month plan. It'll give us the basics and that is all we need.

We're getting rid of other stuff too. Time to trim back down and make it all work.

Anyway - that has been on my mind.

This weekend was lovely. We had a fantastic time at the Renaissance Festival and Watkins Park. Bailey and I went swimming twice. We hung out with M&S and their sweet, sweet Danny. We spent time reconnecting and I cooked. I made a fantastic pork loin and turkey breast. Yummy!

1 comment:

bleu said...

Just make sure you have a plan for 911 types of emergencies. I read a recent article about a tragedy with a family that had skype and made a 911 call, it can happen with cell too that it get routed differently. It is one of the reasons I keep our land line.