4/21/2008

B's First Birthday Party

That's right. Even though our ticker still hasn't ticked off her first birthday, Bailey's party was this past weekend.

My mom, my best friend and my brother were in town for the festivities and helped me and Kelly throw a rockin' good party.

Good lord. What a bunch of work!!!

BUT, it was exactly what we wanted it to be. There were a few kids, one baby (our favorite little boy, Danny and his two moms) and lots of our neighbors and friends. Bailey was inundated with lots of new toys to play with and Sunday night I made the switch (boxed up too-young toys, moved older toys upstairs for evening play, and set out her new toys downstairs for frequent exploration).

Andrea (my best friend) and I made a wonderful birthday cake that was the highlight of the event. It was a large circle with a star shaped cake on top. We frosted with vanilla and then covered the cake in primary colored fondant stars. I have pictures, of course, and will post them later. I feel like it was the best part of the party...

Bailey did great - she loved the crowds, loved having people around, loved opening presents, loved her first taste of real sugar (she got her own mini star cake) and didn't seem at all upset by the loud singing. I wasn't surprised about that though...she loves the crowds.

By the time the house cleared out, it was too late to put her down for a nap, so we kept her up until 6:30. We brought her upstairs and did her bath and gave her the bottle. She fell asleep in my arms for the first time in many months (she usually puts herself to sleep in her crib after crying for a few minutes). She didn't wake up when I stood up and snuggled close when I hugged her. She slept solid for 13 hours. Poor, tired girl!!!

She was an absolute dream. No tears, no fear...just all smiles and happy baby joy.

All in all, it was very successful. I'm glad it's over for this year, but it was a great first birthday!

No comments: