5/15/2007

Two Hands

I am a touch typer. A fast one. 70-90 words per minute depending on what else I'm doing. However, I have not been able to figure out how to type while holding Bailey and still maintain that speed.

Bailey's favorite position is in a cradle hold, with her head pressed against my chest. However, that means that one hand is not free to type. Having been a touch typist for so many years, I can't hunt and peck the keys. I literally do not "know" where they are. My fingers just go to them instinctual. If Bailey lets me put her on my chest, I can use both hands and then I'm good. Thats how she is right now, curled up into a little ball sleeping on my chest.

Other things that really do require two hands include eating, doing the dishes, folding laundry...just about anything chore-like. Eating is the big thing. Kelly and I have developed a system. If Bailey is awake during mealtime, the cooking partner is required to cut up all food into bite sized pieces for the holding partner. Then, the holding partner can just eat with one hand. Which is fine if the food is eaten that way. But, what about spaghetti? Or pot pie? Or soup? LOL - so many things to ponder...

We are all well today. I have another doctors appointment this morning just to check on my incision. I think that everything is fine - I feel good and have only a little bit of internal pain. My body is returning to normal. My anemia seems to be mellowing out, because my energy level is returning and walking up the stairs doesn't require a huge effort. I'm not pale anymore.

We are all returning to some state of normal, thank god. I've needed to get back to some stability and normalcy. My two favorite states of being! Stable and normal...

Off to shower...

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Mikki,
One thing you can do is keep Bailey in a snuggly (the sling type baby holder that will leave you hands free. Remember how the native americans carried their babies around on their backs? It is a good way to keep her close but not inhibit your activities.

I finished my senior year in college with a baby who had frequent ear infections. Boy did I learn how to type while holding her upright against me. The only way she was happy was in my arms. And those were the days with manual, non-correcting typewriters.
Karen