5/21/2007

Thumb Sucker

I sucked my thumb until I was 12 years old. LOL - this is not a secret that I like to share, but it's true. Of course, the older I got, the more taboo the sucking got...so it dwindled down to just night time sucking. Eventually, I stopped.

It seems that our Bailey is also going to be a thumb sucker. She's not even three weeks old yet, and she's already found her thumb and uses it to do some self-soothing. This morning, just a few minutes ago, she was fussy. I'm trying to hold her off on eating...she's been demanding lots and lots of food without schedule. We need to make sure that she gets on a schedule and the only way to do that is to hold her off. So, no food yet. I want to make sure she's good and hungry before I feed her this morning.

So anyway, she was playing in her bouncy chair but then got bored. She started fussing, so I picked her up and put her on my chest (one of her favorite positions). She flung herself to the side, as she often does, and promptly put her thumb into her mouth and began madly sucking. She sucked and sucked and then fell sound asleep. She's sleeping now.

This is the part where I'm supposed to put her down. We're trying really hard to get her used to sleeping away from other people. In nine weeks she starts child care, where she will spend a significant amount of the day sleeping in a crib...NOT in someone's arms. I know that it seems far away, but I don't want to make that transition harder on her by not having her get used to sleeping independently. Sigh. But this is when I WANT to hold her. She's so sweet and cuddly. Oh well. Down she goes. It's better for all of us.

This morning I tried a size two diaper on her. It fit. Just a couple of days ago, it was way too big. Today, it's a little big, but looks so much more comfortable than the size one. Also, last night we put her in a size three months sleeper. Again...a little big, but still more comfy than the 0-3 months size.

Good god, our baby is, quite literally, growing up. It's wonderful...and frustrating. I'm just now starting to wake up from the fog of the first couple of weeks. I'm glad we've taken a bunch of pictures...she's changing before our very eyes.

Now...if only I could convince her to sleep more than 2 hours at a stretch at night...

No comments: