4/04/2007

Week 37 and Dr.'s Appointment

Our doctors appointment was moderately disappointing, but I'm trying to take it in stride. Before I even begin, let me just say that I was set up for failure. I WANTED to go in and hear that I was mere days away from giving birth, be put on bed rest to wait it out in leisure and be told that I had lost another couple of pounds. LOL.

As it turns out, I've gained 8 pounds in two weeks, my blood pressure is okay (but may be creeping up...they are going to watch it), and my cervix is "starting to soften".

About the weight - its actually interesting to me. I got more exercise these past two weeks than I have my entire pregnancy. I didn't eat anything different. Part of it (maybe a lot of it) can be explained by my swelling and water retention. I look bloated and my feet and hands are so puffy it's not funny. And Bailey has probably put on a pound or so in the last two weeks. But, at some point, I just have to accept that I gained some weight too. So, now it's back to paying attention and trying not to let it get more crazy. Total weight gain to date: 20 pounds.

About the blood pressure. It could be nothing. It was 138/80. I usually run in the "120's/80" according to my chart. So, it could be "creeping up" as our doctor said. The weight gain, the puffiness...all could be signs of bad things to come...but are meaningless without more data. So for right now, it's okay.

About my cervix. Well. At 36 weeks, my cervix is doing exactly what it should do. It's starting to get ready, but isn't there yet. Bailey is not yet "engaged"...although she has gotten lower in my tummy, she's not all the way down yet. As the doctor kindly pointed out, there is more misery to come.

We go back next week. We'll watch all of these signs. See what they come to. The universal expectation is that Bailey will be big and we'd all (doctors included) like for her to be an early baby rather than a late one. But time will tell. Until then, I am going to "commit to being miserable" as my wonderful partner has said...LOL!

Here's the 37 week development and promised belly shot!

Total Weight Gain: 20 Pounds
Weeks Until Bailey is Due: 4
Weeks Until We Evict Her: 6
Weeks Left of Work: 3 Weeks, 2 Days

Fetal development in pregnancy week 37:fetus in ninth month

It’s the calm before the storm... developmentally speaking anyway. Changes in your baby's weight have leveled off with only a few ounces of fat added this week. At this point your baby should weigh in at around 7 lbs and 20 inches (with boys somewhat heavier and longer than girls). Happily, as far as internal organs go, they are now developed enough to function in the outside world although the oh-so-important immune system is still developing and will continue to do so after birth. With a large boost of antibodies provided by breast milk when nursing begins. Fighting infection and staying healthy should be well within their physical capacity when your little fighter is born.

And how's mom doing?

Your health care provider will assess the likelihood of where you are relative to your upcoming birthing process—seeing as you’ve now arrived at that waiting phase that could turn into labor at any time. Various charming indicators such as loose stools, expelling your mucus plus (along with the bloody show – see week 35), a dilated cervix and increased Braxton-Hicks contractions are all signs that labor is only a few days away. The infamous water breaking may or may not be your first true indicator that labor has commenced. However, water breaks for only 15% of mothers and despite what Hollywood would have us believe, is more frequently just a slow leak rather than a large gush.

Be patient: if labor doesn’t start this week, or even next, keep in mind that only 4-5% of women actual deliver on their predicted due date. What’s more if this is your first pregnancy, you can expect to be anywhere from two days to two weeks late. You can distract yourself by keeping track of fetal movements, mostly to reassure yourself that all is well with your little miracle. In the off chance that movements do start to decrease substantially, don’t freak out—just call your doctor of midwife and discuss it with them.

If you still haven’t decided whether to breastfeed or not, here’s a good reason: some experts estimate that mothers excrete between 400-700 calories a day while breastfeeding, and to compensate, you should be eating roughly 500 extra calories a day (mmm that’s like one spoonful of Ben and Jerry’s ice cream).

No comments: