3/16/2007

Quick Trip to Labor and Delivery

Last night, Kelly and I made our first appearance at labor and delivery! It was a nice little dry run for what is going to happen when we actually go because we are in labor!

Remember me talking about headaches and swelling? Well a friend of ours made a link for us to the headaches and sudden swelling with potential high blood pressure concerns. At our last appointment, I was perfect - 124/80. That was a week ago. Well, I was a little worried, so we went to Safeway and used their blood pressure machine. My first reading came back at 154/83. My second reading was 144/94.

So we were worried. I called our doctor and first he gave me all kinds of shit for waiting four days before I called him. In my own defense, I didn't realize that a headache, swelling, achy back and inability to sleep well were anything other than just common third-trimester pregnancy symptoms. I mean, honestly - who doesn't bitch about all of those things when they are pregnant???

He told us to come on down to labor and delivery and get hooked up and have them test my blood pressure. We ate and then left. Two hours later, we were discharged with absolutely no signs of any trouble. Bailey was moving all around and her heartbeat was perfect. My blood pressure checked out twice at 116/68 and then 116/67.

It was a little hospital dry-run!

Two lessons have been learned:
1) The blood pressure machines at Safeway are not accurate.
2) The little TV's in the hospital rooms hurt your neck unless you are laying down.

1 comment:

Susanica said...

Hey guys. Damn! Needless to say we are VERY HAPPY that your blood pressure turns out to be okay M. That must have been pretty scary. Have a wonderful weekend. M&S