3/29/2007

Pre-Dawn

The alarm went off as it usually does at 4:00 AM. I was sound asleep on my back (which is weird, because that's been a no-no position for a while now). The window was open right above my head and the most wonderful breeze was blowing through. It was very cool, but just shy of too cold. Our littlest kitty, Tiny, was curled up on my pillow, her little paws kneeding my hair and she was purring just a loud as possible. Bailey was reeking havock in my tummy, kicking all about and (I think) trying to wake me up. I rolled slightly to get off my back and rubbed my tummy, talking low to her and to Tiny. Bailey settled down and got a really cute case of the hiccups.

I shut my eyes again (a mistake) and listened to the sounds of the birds just waking up. They were twittering loudly outside. I could almost imagine one scolding the other as I listened. The breeze continued to blow and Tiny kept purring and Bailey was wiggling just slightly. As I layed there, I realized that I was beyond content. I was so incredibly warm and fuzzy and safe and happy.

So, I fell back asleep. LOL! I only ended up oversleeping by about 20 minutes, but it caused the morning to be a bit of a rush. No big deal in the end, but it was funny. I must say, it was almost worth it...what a lovely way to wake up.

I hope that Bailey loves the morning as much as I do. I picked it up from my mother and my grandmother - both of whom were up before the sun most mornings of my life. There is a special kind of stillness that happens at that time of the day. The world wakes up slowly, if you are awake to be a part of the rhythms. So many times we are just thrust into our days by loud alarms and a demanding schedule of things that need to get done so that we can get out of the door. But waking up before the sun allows a person to see how the world truly comes out of the night. It's wonderful...and by far, my favorite time of day.

I hope that Bailey will want to share that time with me as she grows...

No comments: