3/22/2007

Perineal Massage and My Dropping Tummy

Last night, Kelly started massaging my perineal in earnest. For those who don't know, this is a type of vagina massage (don't start thinking sexual thoughts here) that conditions the muscles around the vaginal opening. The point is to teach my body how to relax during intense stretching, rather than clench up (which is what is our natural reflex to pain). Clenching the muscles, rather than allowing them to open up and stretch out when the baby's head is pressed up against them can lead to tearing. It should be said that sometimes a person is going to tear no matter what. This is definitely a possibility, but we are hoping that this will help. In any case, it can't hurt.

Given Bailey's potential size, and my sheer determination to do this naturally and without medical intervention, it's become very important that my body be as ready as it can be. We started last night and will continue every night (or at least, for as many nights as possible) until the birth.

The other thing I noticed last night was that my Bailey has definitely dropped in my belly. Check out the Week 32 picture versus the Week 34 picture.





Pretty big difference, isn't it? And she's not even in my pelvis yet (or at least, she wasn't when we had our ultrasound two days ago). She'll drop further.

In the land of feeling incredibly tired and discouraged by this pregnancy, I'm absolutely delighted to start to see signs of her getting herself ready to join us. I know that it's still a long way off, but it's helpful anyway.

Now, off to shower and face another day. Thank god tomorrow is Friday.












No comments: