2/01/2007

Week 28 and More

You may have noticed my decided absence from all things blog-related yesterday. That would be because both Kelly and I spent the day at home, sick. While that sounds quite exciting, I can say only that I spent the vast, vast majority of the day sleeping while she laughed at me snoring. I did manage to feed us three times and get the dishes in the dishwasher before bed. Kelly and I slept in seperate rooms...this pregnancy thing has caused my usual snoring to become completely ridiculous. For anyone who doesn't know Kelly, this is a HUGE problem. In order for us to sleep together in a "normal" period of time, we sleep on far opposite sides of a King bed, with a fan on either side of us, both on high. And I still wake her up sometimes. So, as my snoring has increased in volume and length, so have my nights in the guest room. I don't mind - it's better for both of us to get good nights of rest. The cats love it...they get to sleep with me when I sleep in the guest room.

We both hope that the snoring goes back to normal when the baby is born...sooner preferably, but we are not holding out much hope.

So, all is well on the pregnancy front. I really appreciate everyone's comments about the doula and birthing class situation. We have decided to forgo any birthing class or birth assistant. I'm too head shy right now, too frusterated and I just need to not have that level of stress in my life. Sometimes I wish that I lived in a world surrounded by women who "got it". I'd love to have JM fly in from the Seattle-area and attend my birth. I'd love to have my Joce come from Maine and be there. I'd love for my mom and my Andrea to be able to be by my side. I'd love to be surrounded by incredibly strong women who would support every grunt, groan and decision I made. I'd love to give birth surrounded by nature instead of machines. I'd love to just wisk myself back in time or to another country, where it would be assumed that I would do this naturally, and that I COULD do it...by myself, with only my body and the strong, strong women around me.

That's not my reality. And I'm not sorry that it is not. Kelly and I have found the solution and the situation that will work for us. We are both strong, intelligent women. I am a great reader and will spend the rest of my pregnancy reading about birth experiences. We will have a detailed birth plan. We will have frank discussions with the hospital and with our doctor. In the end, they can't do anything without my consent...and I'm very, very comfortable withholding it. We live 10 minutes from the hospital, so we will wait as long as possible to go. I'm not afraid of this, and I refuse to spend the next three months stressed out or worried about how people will respond to my partner. This is our pregnancy, our birth, our life and our decision. I dare ANYONE to try to stand in my way.

Other than that, things are good. I haven't reached the point of exhaustion with this pregnancy yet. Actually, just the opposite. I'm feeling very strong, very good and very capable of going the distance. I have had none of the horrible third-trimester symptoms yet. Bailey seems quite content inside of her Momma's body. We have a nice little thing going so far. LOL - I suspect that will change as she continues to get bigger, but for now, we're good. No problem. The mild nausea has once again gone away. I crave major amounts of protien, but I've discovered that a soy hotdog REALLY helps. All is good.

Here's what's gonna happen this coming week with Momma and Bailey. We are 27 weeks pregnant, there are 10 weeks until Bailey is full term (37 weeks) and there are 13 weeks until her due date. Kelly and I both think she'll come early, but we'll see. That will be up to her.

Fetal development in pregnancy week 28:fetus in seventh month

You know how you’ve been feeling a bit like a barn with legs some days? Well, that feeling won’t subside before… well, you know, when you finally give birth. For the time being, you’ve got yourself a baby in the business of collecting fat and lots of it! In spite of the dubious joys of being a barn, this baby fat business is very serious and you’ve got to put up with it, because it’s going to keep your little porker warm and healthy after birth. Other good stuff from inside: their eyes are doing lots of blinking this week because they’re now able to respond to light and dark. Also, their industrious little bone marrow is now a major construction site for developing red blood cells, while their super-cute adrenal glands are actually producing androgen and estrogen—which will stimulate your hormones to begin milk production. Can you say, “Moo?”

And how's mom doing?

If you’re not already fully entrenched, it’s just about time to head into the Name Game field. If you haven’t yet landed on “the perfect name”, there are only about a trillion books (check them out at Amazon.com) and websites with head-spinning lists of name possibilities. You can always opt to invent You can always opt to invent a name as well (like say, “Thygor”). Obviously, naming isn’t always the most straightforward or easy process and not every couple has a name for their child even after birth a name as well (like say, “Thygor”). Obviously, naming isn’t always the most straightforward or easy process and not every couple has a name for their child even after birth. Really, just take your time and try to consider any possible mean nicknames they might be inflicted with once they hit adolescence (i.e. What happens when you name your kid “Willy").
As if we have to tell you: their little “cute” kicks are getting stronger these days, but just pay attention. If you notice a significant drop in the number of kicks experienced per hour it would be a good idea to tell your physician or mid-wife. But before you start getting anxious, keep in mind that during the final weeks of pregnancy your in-house-football player will be kicking significantly less as they will lack the space to move about as vigorously.

3 comments:

bleu said...

Hey sweety, I wanted to just touch base with some "been there done that" advice. Be prepared to have them do things or try to do things against your will, without consent. I cannot stress this enough. I had a birthplan, I ended up transferred but had a plan for that as well. I was there with a fantastic midwife and friend and other strong friends. All were my advocate. I am also NOT a quiet woman and am known for speaking my mind always.
If you have things really important, you need to stress them over and over and then have your partner make sure they are followed to the point of physically stepping in if necessary. I was tied to a table for c-section and told them repeatedly no Vit K shot, and no eye stuff. this was very important to me. They said sure until it came time and then they said they knew better and to be quiet and they did it while I screamed and my friend in there with me tried to physically stop them.
It was devastating, and against my consent, I was screaming I do not consent the whole time. They didn't care.
I am not trying to scare you, I am just saying it happens so much more than people want to talk about and I would hate for it to hit you from left field like it did me. They also count on a new mom being too wrapped up with a newborn to file lawsuits. I wish I had but frankly when we got home, it just wasn't my priority, understandable, and I have heard that over and over from others.
Just a head's up I hope you never have to even come close to dealing with.

Mikki said...

Yep, that's a pretty awful experience and just about sums up my nightmare. I think that I have to go into this trusting that won't happen, but being as prepared as I can be for all outcomes. I'm trying to not allow myself to become so entrenched in what I want this experience to be that I forget that the only thing that really matters is that me, Kelly and Bailey all come out of this together and whole. I am going to work hard, but I have to be able to allow the process to work in whatever way it's going to work. I don't want to hate my experience giving birth...the only way that I know how to prevent that is through education, verbalizing my needs and allowing flexibility.

Hopefully that will be enough.

Thanks for sharing...

Stacey said...

Snoring fun! lol. I know exactly what you mean cuz I snore a lot lately too.

I hope you are feeling much better. Welcome the 3rd trimester--you are getting closer!!! :)