2/13/2007

Glucose Screening Test

Well, I failed the glucose screening test. But not by much. The cutoff at my doctor's office is 130 milligrams of glucose per deciliter of blood plasma. Many doctors use 140 milligrams as the cutoff. My doctor uses 130 just to be on the safe side and to catch all women who may have gestational diabetes. My blood showed 143 milligrams. So, I'm over...but not by much. Just to put that number into perspective, a positive test (from the screening) for gestational diabetes would be 200 or more milligrams.

The next step is a three hour glucose challenge test. Starting at midnight on Wednesday night, I will fast (no food, and only sips of water). At 7:30 in the morning, I'll go to the lab and have my blood drawn. Immediately following this first blood draw, I'll drink another sugary glucose drink and then wait one hour. After one hour, my blood will be drawn. Then I wait another hour. Then my blood is drawn. Then I wait another hour. Then my blood is drawn. After three hours and four blood draws, I am free to go (and to eat!). If I fail two of the four blood draws (in other words, if my glucose is above their numbers in two of the tests), then I will be diagnosed with gestational diabetes. If I pass, then I don't have it.

Either way, we'll know for sure and will adjust accordingly.

After the test, I have to go to the hospital and get the shot for my RH Factor. This will prevent me from being sensitized if Bailey's blood type is positive.

I'm taking Thursday off...

The snow storm is not a storm at all. It might turn into a "significant ice event" tonight, but I'm not holding my breath.

Bailey is moving lots this morning. I have lots of works to do, but don't want to do any of it. I'd like to go home and play with Bailey's things.

Oh well...work I must!

No comments: