1/08/2007

Weekend??

The problem with the holidays is that the extraordinarily long weekends make the weekends that follow seem very short. I blinked and it was time to get up this morning for work. Crazy.

However, we got lots and lots done and actually enjoyed ourselves. This is surprising in some ways, because since pregnancy has begun, my weekends consist of sleeping and getting ready for another week. That means that we don't really get to spend time just hanging out together. In between naps, there is laundry, shopping, vacuming and all the other chores that really need to get done.

But this weekend, we seemed to do all of that AND find time to hang out together. On Saturday, we had a festive good time fighting the crowds at Ikea. We really don't much like Ikea, but we have found that the similiest solution to relativley cheap furniture needs can usually be found there. We purchased a $15 TV stand to replace our big older one from Ikea. See, we are rearranging a bit. I'll save all the gory details for another time, but we needed to move the TV into a smaller area and we needed a small stand. We found exactly what we were looking for. In addition, we found some vibrant primary (and other) colored picture frames. We are going to fill these frames with geometric black and white designs to complete the baby's room. We also found some very cool brightly colored throws for the baby's room. After Ikea, we stopped at Lowes and picked out the ceiling fan/lamp that will replace the yucky brass one in the baby's room. As you guessed it...this is brightly colored in primary colors!

We are absolutely in love with the baby's room. It is coming together exactly was we pictured it, and it's exactly what we wanted. We were never comfortable with the concept of a "baby" room...because baby's grow up very quickly. As a nod to the fact that we are not wealthy, we wanted to create a space that will grow with our child (and be suitable for the next). We have managed to do just that. The room has a very child-like feel, but isn't in any way pastel or baby-like. It's very comfortable, and just screams for blocks and crayons to be scattered on the floor. Just what we wanted.

There is still lots of work to be done in the room, but I promise, when it's finished I'll post many pictures for all of you!

Anyway - that was all on Saturday. On Sunday, I tackled the grocery store and Target, while Kelly did the floors. And did she ever do the floors! I love my partner. See, I'm a surface cleaner. I wipe and make things look good. Kelly cleans. Truly. She got down on her hands and knees with a scouring pad and scrubbed the hell out of our kitchen floor. I'm telling you, it looks completely new. It's amazing. She scrubbed all the cracks, were the cabinets meet the floor and dug out all the grime and gore. Not only did the house smell like the amazing scent of Pine Sol when I walked in...but it looked fabulous! She also reorganized our little pantry (the only closet downstairs) and made it a workable space. She's just fabulous.

We spent Sunday afternoon with Kelly watching the football games and filing, while I cooked. I made a homemade spaghetti sauce, a mexican fiesta casserole, stuffed peppers and a tray of spinach and ricotta lasagna rolls. We have meals prepared for the week - which REALLY goes a long way to ensuring that we eat healthy, lowfat meals. I mean, let's face it, I'm not going to come home at 6 PM after work and make stuffed peppers, or a homemade sauce. I'm going to pick something up - something with full fat ingredients, tons of added fat and unneccesary ingredients. Meal preparation is something that I did before I got pregant, and was one of my most favorite ways of caring for my partner and myself. It's also the first that that went when I started to get nauseated by food.

I am so incredibly happy that I was able to do that again this weekend! It makes me feel more like the woman that I am used to being. I was lovely to be in the kitchen, while Kelly was sitting in the chair, drinking a beer and watching a football game. Traditional...yes. But also very, very comforting to me. I like being a domestic goddess!

And there is something pretty cool about being in the kitchen, barefoot and pregnany! LOL!

So...all in all, it was a very good weekend. We slept well, we enjoyed each other and I felt pretty good all weekend. I'll take it.

Tomorrow is our 24 week ultrasound and doctor's visit. I'll post in the afternoon. We have ink, so I should be able to get the beastly scanner up, and will scan the sonogram pictures for you! Till then!

No comments: