1/04/2007

Hypocrite?

Okay, so I am faced with a dilemma and am interested in how many other parents have had to deal with this. It seems that what's good for the gander is not so good for the gander's child. Let me explain.

I love the latest hip hop music. You know, the trashy stuff that talks about nothing but sex and pimps and ho's. The kind that disrespects women, and treats sex as if it's something that should be taken lightly by everyone (kids included). The music that completely trashes on the concept of being your own person, and instead encourages (and markets itself) to young people who really don't know how to decipher the hidden meanings (if there are any). Hell, I even like Eminem (quite possibly the worst offender of them all...have you ever actually listened to what the guy is saying???).

I love it. I love listening to it. Loudly. I like the sexy edge it has. I like the rhythm of the music. I love the shock value associated with it. See, I love the "underbelly" emotions of society. Let's face it - we are not all pure and innocent. We don't all spend our time on the correct side of political correctness. The underbelly emotions, where music taps into the heat, the drama and the energy of sexual innuendo is...well...for lack of a better word...HOT. It's exciting. It's got an energy to it that nothing else has.

BUT...then I think about my child. This is the same type of music that my child will be exposed to. So I stop, and I listen to what is being said and the message that is being sent. And I am absolutely horrified by the thought that I would ever allow my child to listen to music like that. Good Lord. It's horrible music when I put it in context. I would never want a daughter of mine to believe that she should be bent over and spanked for sexual pleasure (the lyrics to a popular song right now). More importantly, I would never want a son of my to think it was okay to bend a woman over and spank her (unless of course it's done in an adult, mutually-consenting environment, of course...but that hardly seems to apply when talking about young teenagers).

So. That makes me a hypocrite, right? I mean, I love it for myself (because I can understand the context, and I'm not trying to develop a healthy sense of self), but I abhor it for my child.

Not pretty...and definitely a dilemma.

4 comments:

specks0615 said...

lol, i just knew you were talking about my loud, bumpin music!!! i too love it and rock it urry day. i no i aint 2 get-toe 4 u, now am i? well, i've got two bright young women who've generally heard me crank my get-toe rap or raunchy music - mostly all their life. it comes down to home training girls. they're going to hear it somewhere. i comes down to talking to them about it - and them telling you "maw, or maws, y'all really like that crap?" they'll be their own person and could be like you and enjoy all kinds of music or prefer bethoven. just keep singing, rockin, thumpn, and bumpin that get-love music... for me it's not the lyrics.. sometimes it is.. but mostly the beat...if you give them home-training...they'll be armed instead of just hearing stuff in the streets for the first time? don't think so...

Mikki said...

K - I'm so glad that you're going to be around as we raise our children! It's so incredibly nice to have a mother who has raised two wonderful woman just across the street (and you be sure to let Promise know we are ALL OVER the babysitting...). How comforting to know that someone is there who will care.

Thanks for the advice - and keep it coming. We truly value your insight!

:-) M&K

specks0615 said...

morning k & m! oopsies..i 4 got to write 4 this blog that even with my get-toe music, my oldest graduated magna cum laude for H.S. and is still a high honor student in college & the midget (Promise) has been on honor roll through middle school - missed it this past qtr tho! I'm ALWAYS here 4 U's 2... um U's 3... and how did y'all get up & out b 4 me 2 day? And, YOU BETTER come get me if U need N E help or want to come over while painting... Promise might even wanna be a wet nurse 4 u 2! In fact Kelly could become one 2. Just put lil' honey at breast (build it) and they (s/he) will come! LOL - i'm so cray-zee!

Anonymous said...

Hey Kelly.... remember that awful tape (tape/CD?) you had come up missing back in high school? I forget who the "artist" was. I only remember that it was X-rated. Did you ever find it?? :)