11/13/2006

Much Needed

Last Valentine's Day, Kelly made me a "love box" - a heartshaped, leather box filled with little slips of paper with love notes on each one. One of them says, "Right in the middle of an ordinary life, you realize that you're living a fairy tale."

This weekend, I realized that I felt like I was living a fairy tale. Friday night was spent with our good friends, M & S. We had a great time just hanging out, talking about being pregnant and all that it has meant for our lives. I love hanging out with them. There is an insignificant difference in how pregnant we are, so we can share the ups and downs of it all. It's wonderful, and comforting to know that we have people close by who care about us and who we care about. It's like having family again...

On Saturday, Kelly and I drove a couple of hours to a shopping mall that was two hours away. First, I love driving with Kelly. There is something about the casual way she rests her hand on my thigh, while we are singing Dar and Dido and Hank Williams. It's normal, comfortable and very, very precious to me. I'm not a big shopping fan, but we spent almost five hours shopping and came away with desperately needed new clothes for Kelly. She was happy and that made me really happy. We picked up movies on the way home and then made tacos when we got there. I love taco night! The evening was spent snuggling and watching Adam Sandler in Click.

Sunday morning we both slept late, and woke up to an all-day cold, driving rain. No good for working out in the garden, but wonderful for hanging out together. We left the house early to grocery shop, but other than that, we just hung out together. Watched another movie, watched the Redskins get stomped by the Eagles. Laughed. Talked. Took a bath. It was lovely.

The entire weekend, there was one constant - I didn't feel bad. I didn't feel sick, not too tired, barely a head ache, I had energy and I was enjoying the days as opposed to just getting through them.

Like the quote says, sometimes you realize that you're living a fairytale.

I needed this weekend. I needed to reconnect with the happy, easy me that exists outside of what has been a challenging pregnancy. I needed to be able to pursue my own needs for just a minute, without worrying about getting sick or causing a headache. In short, I needed a break. Just a couple of easy days.

And I got them! Thank goodness for these moments of perfection within this pregnancy.

No comments: