11/27/2006

Lesson # 7354

Okay - so, I'm not sure if I've REALLY learned that many lessons since becoming pregnant, but sometimes it feels like it.

If my body and I were playing a game of chess yesterday, my body won checkmate. I slept hard for 10 hours on Saturday night. Kelly and I both slept well (there is a definate correlation between how well she sleeps and how well I sleep). I was up around 6:45 in the morning- not super early, definately not too late. I got up, made us breakfast (pancakes, sausage and an orange), and then promptly went back to sleep for an hour. Huh??? Yep, that's right, folks - apparently the fine art of making breakfast exhausted my body.

After my hour, I showered and we headed to Target and the grocery store. At Target, we scored a candy bar and a cup of coffee (coffee for me only...my love hates it). We shared the candy bar and I drank the coffee. (Just so that everyone can see where I'm going with this - so far in the day, I've eaten pancakes with lots of butter and syrup, sausage, half an orange, a coke, a cup of coffee and a candy bar). After grocery shopping and Target shopping, we finally made it back home around 11:45.

Now, I was feeling crappy. Really, really crappy. I was lethargic, my back hurt, my belly felt like our little honey was trying to push out through my belly button, my head hurt. Ugg. I just wanted to curl up and sleep. But first I needed to eat.

I thought about it and decided that I wanted to have a bacon sandwich. I piled it high with soy bacon, lowfat cheese, tomato and lettuce. On the side, I had the rest of the tomato (four slices), three pickles and half an avocado. I drowned that down with about 24 ounces of water with a lemon.

And wouldn't you know it...my energy came back, my various aches and pains went away, I felt rejuvinated and ready to go.

Hot damn - I've found the secret to feeling good in pregnancy...EAT WELL!

In all seriousness, in the last couple of weeks, I've gotten away from eating well. In my first four months, I listened very carefully to the needs of my body. I craved cucumbers, so I ate them. Lots of them. I cringed at the thought of candy and sugar, so I avoided it at all costs. I drank enough water and really listened when my body was needing something. I was rewarded with no weight gain, and no horrid responses like I had on Saturday morning.

After my last doctors appointment, I walked away feeling like I had this whole pregnancy thing in the bag! I still hadn't gained weight, my sickness was going and my energy was back. PHEW...out of the woods.

Once again, my body has taught me a good lesson. Yep, this part is easier than the first four months. I'm definately feeling better. But only if I listen to what my body needs and not use my pregnancy as an exuse to eat whatever I want.

Just another of life's little lesson.

No comments: