11/16/2006

Confident

Today, I'm feeling confident. Yesterday, I successfully managed to get up a 4 AM, get myself to work by 7 AM, work really hard in the morning, then spend an hour and a half at lunch walking 25 blocks (to get fake turkey, veggie stuffing and veggie gravy for Thanksgiving with the in-laws), then come back and work my ass off some more, then meet with our financial planner (to realize that we REALLY are on top of things) and then go home and make a pie. And be in bed by 10. And back up again today at 4 AM.

I figure, if I can do all of that in one day, and still feel good, happy and productive, then I can handle this parenting thing!

In all honesty, I'm so excited. Every day that brings us closer to delivery day make me more and more excited. I'm so ready for this. I've been ready to be a mother since I was 18. My life wasn't ready, but I was. Kelly and I were ready as a couple two years ago. Our life together wasn't, but we were. And then it happened. And now, we just can't wait.

Last night, Kelly came downstairs and I had put on my apron to make pie (props, A - the apron you made me rocks!). She looked at me with sparkles falling out of her eyes and said, "I love seeing you in your apron." Later she told me that she loves that I'm the type of person would would make a pie to join a pie bakeoff.

I love it when my normally reserved wife shares with me why she loves me. It makes me feel like I'm on top of the world.

I also talked to an old friend for a few minutes yesterday afternoon. She was a friend who didn't know yet that I was pregnant. Her first response was, "Pardon me? Come again? Doesn't that take a man??" I just laughed and said, "Apparently not."

Straight people are funny sometimes. I get it - when you exist within the majority, you don't spend much time thinking about life for those in the minority. I think this holds true for nearly any situation where one group of people outnumber another group. Heterosexuality is what most people presume to be normal - and so to concieve of an event that "usually" happens through heterosexual sex happening for two women is hard for some of them. I get it. I really do. I don't like it, but I get it. And it doesn't make it okay, but I still understand.

So, I laughed at her. And I told her our story. And she was delighted. She's a good person. Just wrapped up in being a 20-something heterosexual girl. I love her anyway.

No comments: