10/10/2006

Feminist Thoughts

So, if you're totally against the whole feminist movement, anti-gay or an ultra-religious conservative, I advise you to stop reading and save yourself the frustration.

Yesterday, as I was riding the very hot bus home and feeling horrid (vomity and just way over heated), I was thinking about the people in this world who believe that Kelly and I shouldn't love each other. More importantly, it seems that those same people believe that we don't have the right to legally protect one another against major fallouts (such as death). I was riding along and thinking about the thousand dollars that we had to spend in order to get some measure of legal protection that would ensure that if she's in the hospital, it's me who makes the decisions about her care (and vice versa). I was remembering a couple of years ago when we were sitting on the couch, close to each other and holding hands. A special news report came on - it was Bush giving a speech. Funny enough, it was a speech about how allowing gay people the right to marry would ruin the fabric of our society. I remember sitting there looking at this incredible woman, who loves me beyond all reason and whom has captivated my heart since the second I laid eyes on her, and wondering how it was that WE were ruining anything.

Here we are. Two people, who have made the most sacred of vows to one another. No, not in a church, not in front of our families (although we haven't ruled that out), and some would say not in the eyes of God. But to each other, we have taken those vows. The promise that no matter what kind of shit life throws at us, we'll survive it together because we believe that our love is stronger than life. We believe that together, we are better than we are apart. We trust each other to make decisions that are good for the "we" rather than the "me". We are married. For whatever that words means to you, we are bound together BY CHOICE, for life. That's a marriage. No matter if you believe in it or not.

So yesterday, as I was riding the bus home, I found myself thinking about all of this. I truly believe that we are at a precipice as a society. We've got to decide if we are going to be inclusive or if we are going to turn our noses up at the real beauty of all the kinds of love around us. I put my hand on my belly and I wondered.

Lots of people say that God (the traditional definition of the Christian male God) will not glorify the union that we have made between us. I can't argue. I don't know him. And I can't confess to believe much of what traditional Christianity puts forth. But what I do know is that a child is a miracle. A gift. And not one that is a purely biological action. Sure, we can talk about the sperm meeting the egg and blah, blah, blah. But anyone with an ounce of spirituality (and I think we all have that - regardless of the picture that spiritually becomes), will believe that being gifted with a child is a miracle of sorts.

If ever I needed any proof that God (or whatever you believe in) glorifies our union, it's here. Growing inside of me is a product of the love that Kelly and I share for each other. Yes, my friends, two women can make a baby. Through determination, committment, passion and love, we have made the kind of life that the keeper of miracles believes will be a good home for a child. If ever I questioned our right to love each other, I don't anymore. Heaven, hell - they are all just words.

I'm going to live my life by what my heart tells me is right. And loving my partner through all of lifes challenges, and raising our children (if we are blessed with more), and being a productive member of this society is my life's calling.

No comments: