10/31/2006

Bump? What Bump?

This morning, I put on a pair of my pre-pregnancy pants. I'm not sure why I'm calling them that because I haven't grown out of them at all since I've gotten pregnant. Well this morning, both Kelly and I realized that they look like they are much less snug on me than before. In fact, they look suspiciously like I'm losing weight as opposed to gaining it.

Now, don't get me wrong - after battling my entire life to lose weight, I don't mind that it's happening now. Except for the tiny little fact that I'M PREGNANT!!!! Where is my baby bump?? In fact, all indications still point to a non-pregnant Mikki. I don't really look pregnant (if you ignore my boobs...but most people aren't staring at them).

So, I did a small bit of reading this morning and discovered that being a larger woman it's quite possible that I will not gain ANY WEIGHT at all during my pregnancy. The reasons are quite simple and, in the end, simply mathematic. First, my eating habits and patterns have completely changed. Here is a example. Prior to pregnancy, Kelly and I would to out to Baja Fresh and get bean and cheese burritos. These are served with approximately 25 chips on the side. I would eat my entire burrito (think about a cup of beans and 3/4 of a cup of cheese) plus all of my chips. And usually a soda to top it off. On Saturday, we went to Baja Fresh and ordered our usual. I was only able to eat about 1/3 of the burrito and maybe half of my chips. And I topped it off with lemonaide.

Lately, I can only eat small portions of food and that fills me up for a couple of hours. Then I get hungry again, and I can only eat a small portion of food. In short, I'm eating the way that I'm SUPPOSED to. Small, frequent meals about 6-7 times a day. And the choices I'm making with food are good because what I'm craving is the good stuff - veggies, beans, cheese (and we ALWAYS eat lowfat cheese). I've been craving pasta, but we always eat whole grain pasta.

So, if I were not pregnant, it would stand to reason that I would be losing weight. It seems that the little that I've actually gained in my pregnancy (in the first 4 months, your actually BABY and baby stuff gain is only about 4 pounds) is being netted out by what I'm losing in body fat.

An interesting correlation. And one that, could possibly continue through out my pregnancy.

NOW...just to ease anyone's fears - I'm NOT going to strive for this. I'm pregnant and when the serious hunger does kick in, I'm going to eat. But just like I've been doing since I found out I was pregnant, I'm going to keep making good choices. Everytime I put something in my mouth, I think to myself "Would I give this to my infant?" If the answer is no, then I don't eat it. Because what I eat, my infant eats. I want to put good, heathy, lowfat things into my body so that the little honey growing inside of me gets good healthy food to grow with.

And it seems that my body appreciates this.

No comments: