1/05/2009

Sometimes I Wonder

Sometimes I wonder if I am the only parent (besides Kelly, of course) who feels relief when the weekend is over and I can go back to work. I wonder if this makes me a bad mother. I wonder if, even if it doesn't make me a bad mother, if maybe I should have thought a little bit harder about becoming a mother. I wonder if other people struggle with their children as much as I do. I wonder if the problem is me, or Bailey, or a combination of both. I wonder if there isn't a problem at all. I wonder if what I'm feeling is normal and if other mothers are just not willing to be honest. I wonder if I'll always feel just that twinge (or rush) of relief forever. I wonder if parenting is hard for everyone or if I just make it hard. I wonder if Bailey can sense that I struggle a good portion of the time. I wonder if she knows that I hate being touched all day long, without break. I wonder if hating to be touched all day long without a break is normal.

I wonder if I will ever stop feeling guilty for having these feelings. I wonder if the moments of sheer joy at seeing my daughter outweighs the moments when I would hit the rewind button. I wonder, if given the opportunity, if I really would hit the rewind button. I wonder if there will come a day when I look back and wish for these days to come back. I wonder if I will be one of those people who, in 20 years, forgets that I ever felt this way.

I wonder if, when Bailey reads this years and years from now, if she will know that this is my shit and has nothing to do with her. I wonder if I tell her that I love her enough and if she knows, without fail, that I would never leave her and that even when I would classify her behavior as horrific...I still love her. I wonder if the disgust I feel when she behaves like a hoodlum is normal. I wonder if being disgusted with your child is even okay. I wonder why love is not always the first emotion I feel when I see her. I wonder if people think I'm a bad mother because I'm willing to say these things.

I wonder why I spend my time wondering about these things. I wonder if I will ever just be the goddamn susy-homemaker that I have pictured in my head. I wonder if I would hate myself if I ever let myself become that person.

I wonder why it feels like I am the only person in the entire world who admits that I miss life before Bailey and I wonder if I am the only person who will ever say out loud that it was easier, and in moments, it was better when we didn't have a toddler. I wonder if people realize that even though I feel this way, I would never subtract her from my life. I wonder if it is clear to people that she is, in fact, my entire world and that because she is the most important part of me, sometimes I just need a break from it.

Sometimes I wonder why being a mother is so tiring and why the rewards are so few. I wonder if maybe I'm doing this wrong, or maybe I'm just not a good parent. Or maybe I am. But I wonder. I wonder if there is any truth to the fears I have that someday she will read this and think that I didn't love her enough. I wonder if she will create a perfect image of me that I cannot live up to and I wonder if she will think I've failed her when I can't. I wonder if she will blame me for the shit that comes her way in life. I wonder if I will blame myself.

Mostly, I just wonder if when this is all said and done, if she will know that she is at the center of all of me - all my joy, all my love, all my struggle, all my heartbreak, all my fear, all my hope. I wonder if she will know that there will never again be any part of me that is untouched by her presence and I wonder if she will know that is both a blessing and a struggle.

I wonder why I'm the only person who talks about this stuff. I wonder if it is just me who feels it. And then I wonder if other people are talking about it, but I am not hearing it.

2 comments:

Katie Morang said...

Having an 11 year old and a 4 year old girls I completely understand the emotions you are feeling. Everyday I wonder why we started over, everyday I wonder if Sam and I will make it through puberty (her puberty), I wonder when my oldest sees me completely break down and fall apart if she knows its because a person can only handle so much and not that I don't love or want her, I wonder that when my 4 year old tells me I am breaking her heart if she means it, I wonder what the day will be like when when my children are grown and gone and to be honest sometimes it isn't coming fast enough. You are not alone
The best things to remember are the moments that make you fall in love with them all over again are what make these life journeys worth it.

Love ya
Kate

Susanica said...

Hi Mikki.I think all people process their experiences differently. I also think that most parents who read this can relate to something you've written. I know I'm relieved to get to work sometimes (like last week when I had him myself just about every day). You know I love Danny with all my heart but having a kid is tiring. Try doing it when you're 48. I guess I'm just feeling old today. Talk to you soon. -Monica