11/05/2008

Winning and Losing

I'm so conflicted this morning.

I am, of course, delighted in the large Democratic victories all over this country. I eat a full slice of humble pie - after all, I did say that Obama couldn't win. Boy...did he ever prove me wrong.

The biggest victory of all is the turnout. Finally, people have started to care. I hope this trend continues and that Bailey and Connor grow up in a world were not voting is not an option. For that reason, I am glad that I voted yesterday. I would have ended yesterday disappointed in myself if I had not voted.

With that said, bans on gay marriage passed all over this country.

Arizona passed a constitutional amendment to limit the recognition of gay marriage to one man and one woman. It was also on the ballot in 2006, but failed.

California is looking like it will pass their amendment to limit marriage to one man and one woman, overturning a judicial ruling that allowed same-sex marriage earlier this year.

Florida was able to secure their required 60% of the voters to amend their constitution to limit marriage to one man and one woman.

If you think this is the end of it, you're wrong. The worst of all comes out of Arkansas. In Arkansas, they passed a ballot measure that actively prevents gay couples from adopting children or acting as foster parents. Specifically, "This measure would prohibit unmarried "sexual partner[s]" from adopting children or from serving as foster parents. The measure specifies that the prohibition applies to both opposite-sex as well as same-sex couples."

Abortion rights won, though. California did not pass a constitutional amendment that would required parental notification (not consent) prior to a minor receiving an abortion. Colorado overwhelming refused to pass a constitutional amendment that would have effectively banned all abortions, by declaring "human life" from starting at the moment of conception. South Dakota also did not pass an ballot measure that would have ended all abortions, effectively.

So there are wins and losses and I am torn. I don't feel celebratory. I feel moderately relieved, but so sad that gay couples are so targeted right now. I wish people could open their eyes and look at the lives of us, really look, and see that we're not so different. Really, we're not. We're just another family, trying to love each other and stay strong through the shit. We're two women, trying to raise happy, healthy children that give something back to the world. We're just human beings trying to live in our world.

Anyway. Those are my thoughts for today.

1 comment:

Mandy said...

I couldn't agree with you more. In Nebraska we saw nothing but republican wins and the end to affirmative action in our state. Coupled with the gay marriage and adoption bans, it’s a sad day for me. I am glad Obama won but it’s hard to be happy today.