11/03/2008

Home Changes

Nothing major, but over the weekend, Kelly and I decided to go back to our values and get rid of most of our cable, our internet connection at home and our telephone.

It was also a financial decision.

We were spending $160 a month on a packaged deal - including all three. We had high speed internet access, way too many digital cable channels and a telephone. The thing is, though, we were also watching too much television and I was spending too much time on the internet.

Kelly and I both feel very strongly that home time should be spent at home...not at home with your nose in the computer or zoning out to the TV. We generally hate the values that are presented on TV and have never put Bailey in front of the TV. Sometimes, on Sunday mornings, we will turn on PBS and let her watch whatever is on. And sometimes she actually pays attention for a minute or two. But she's never watched TV and so she's not really into it.

What it really comes down to is that we just don't want to be that family. I don't want for us to sit around and watch TV together as a family, when we could be talking, reading, playing games, being outside. We just think there are better options. Rather than just say that, we decided to actually make it happen.

Now, instead of $160 a month, we are paying $20 for limited basic cable (just the networks, PBS and the weather channel!).

We've been wanting to take this plunge for a while. I'm so happy we finally did!

1 comment:

MaverickMama said...

You two are inspirational. I have been trying to get the guts to cut the internet cord...I'm almost there...I just need to think through if I can get rid of both the land line and the internet. It might be a challenge since the only time I get a chance online is in the evening when my boy is sleeping. Hmm I'll keep mulling awhile longer. Awesome savings!