10/27/2008

To Vote Or Not

I'm torn. I've never been torn before about voting. Never. I have always known that I would go, that I would vote and that I would vote a straight democratic ticket. I'm a party loyalist.

But this time around, I'm torn.

Not about who I would vote for. I've jumped that hurdle already.

The question is IF I will vote at all.

I completely, 100%, totally, wholeheartedly disagree with the government bailout. I sided fully with the Republicans who initially stood in the way of passage (of course, they rolled over like fucking little pigs when a bunch of pork was added). I think it is irresponsible and won't work as planned in any event. In fact, have you seen the latest. The banks that were supposed to use the money to give out loans, thus putting more money into circulation, boosting the economy and all that...you know, the "plan". Well, that's not happening. Instead, those same banks are using our dollars to aquire smaller banks, strengthening their own bottom line. And the credit markets are still not loosening up the way that they could.

It makes my blood absolutely boil.

What makes my blood boil over is that REALITY that we will pay for this for a long, long, long, long time. Bailey's children will still be paying for it. They talk about it like it is an investment. And maybe in a couple of years, I'll be proved wrong. LOL. Maybe.

But I'm not buying it. Not one bit.

I'm absolutely livid with my government.

I made a promise on the day that the bailout was pushed through that I would never vote for another member of government who voted for the bailout.

That includes both of the presidential candidates.

So, if I go to the polls, I will be writing in Nader as my candidate. I will not vote for Obama, even though he is who I would have supported. I cannot vote for McCain, even if he had not voted for the bailout. There are two ballot initiatives - one dealing with voting early and the other dealing with slots - but I'm not sure that I care about those issues enough to get myself to the polls.

Perhaps, if I lived in a state that was swinging (Virginia for example), I would feel more inclined to change my position. But my state isn't swinging. We're a solid blue state and my vote is going to be "pointless" anyway.

I'm interested in other people's thoughts. I really am. Just know that nothing will convince me to vote for Obama. It's not that I don't want him to be president. I do, actually. But I won't cast my ballot, ever again, for someone who voted for the bailout. But what about Nader? Since it won't matter, does anyone have any opinions? Can anyone come up with one good reason why I should spend my precious time with Bailey standing in a voting line?

4 comments:

MaverickMama said...

This election even the anarchists are voting. The process is important even if it seems like one minuscule vote among millions does not really make much noise. It is only a process. A fragile framework that stands between us and chaos. Go vote because it's a social thing to do. To stand in line with your neighbors and make your x on the ballot. Most of all go vote so you can get your "I voted sticker"

Mandy said...

I live in a red state. The democratic vote hasn't counted in a presidential election here since 1964. But I vote because it's my right and a lot of women fought long and hard to give me that right. Besides, you can take Bailey with you and she can keep you entertained while you wait.

Susanica said...

Hi Mikki. I find myself wondering about the "all or nothing" sense I get when you say you'll never vote for someone again. In this case the votes on the bailout. What about the votes to go to war? What of other votes? I imagine that every vote that was cast for or against, in this case the bailout, was chosen for many reasons. But mostly for that congress person's political expediency. In other words their reason for voting the "right way" might have nothing to do with the good reasons you think are so important.

Do I think you should take Bailey to vote? Heck yes. You'll teach her that voting is important even if you are mad at some of the decisions some leaders have made. But you can do something about your frustrations by casting your ballot. And later working in other ways to advocate for the things you feel are most important. Just my two cents. Thanks for asking.

treewater said...

Dude, I could see us having a good knock-down drag-out over this one. You need to vote.