9/30/2008

15 Minute Break

Our new lawyers successfully started yesterday and all the work, preparation and aggrevation paid off. It was a completely successful day. More orientation over the next couple of days, but the first day is always the most important. I think we did good.

Anyway.

First, our doctors appointment. We went in for our regular 18 week check up on Friday. The lesson of the day is never, ever schedule OB appointments in the afternoon. After waiting an hour (while Kelly got progressively hungrier and crankier), we finally met with our doctor. Actually, we met with the only male doctor in the practice. We are at one of those places where any one of our doctors may be the one on call when we deliver...we've now met them all. I was a bit apprehensive about meeting the male doctor, but he was wonderful and now we really don't care who delivers us.

The appointment was short and sweet. We heard a very healthy heartbeat. I'm guessing the number was in the high 150's. I say guessing, because when I asked him what the heart rate was his response was "It's a great heartbeat, 160 is just about average." I assume that to mean that his or her heartbeat was right up there with average. I also failed to see what the measurement was, although he did take it this time. He didn't tell us, and I didn't ask. Kelly scolded me later for that. Kelly has gained 12 pounds so far. She is right on track with the expected weight gain. She's a bit worried because 7 of those 12 pounds were gained in the past four weeks. But we continue to believe that it's because she is no longer as nauseous all the time and able to eat. And she's been craving sweets. No issues with the weight, but there you have it.

The other information to come from the appointment was a theory that seems to fit about why Kelly was having chest pains. Our doctor told us about this thing that happens when the joint that connects your breast bone and your ribs becomes inflamed. It can cause heart-attack like symptoms, but then generally just goes away. When inflamed, it hurts to breath at all because the expanding lungs push on the joint, causing it to move. It's the movement that causes the pain. It's common in pregnant women who vomit, because the vomitting can cause the inflamation. We were relieved and happy to finally have something that fits both the symptoms and the reason why it just stopped.

In other baby news, Littler Honey has become active. Kelly feels him or her at least once a day and the feelings are becoming more obvious. It's such a joy for me every time she says the baby moved. I like that. It's reassuring. Now...if only I could feel him or her. Kelly is popping quite a bit. I will be posting a "photo" post after this one with some new pictures of Bailey and the 18 weeks belly shot. It's not much different from the 16 week photo, but her belly is definately changing. She's getting fuller at the top of her belly and you can really see the definition between her "normal" tummy and the baby belly. It's really quite beautiful...

Bailey is doing very, very well. She is mimicking every word we say and usually with a high degree of accuracy. She's such a happy baby girl. She is the light of our lives. She's eating well, finally has 8 teeth and is sleeping the "right" number of hours. She's still the charmer she always was. Interestingly, she is going through a clingy phase with us. She's not really into anyone but Kelly and I and with us, she is very into being held, hugged and close. Not that we mind. There really isn't anything better than a super-huge hug from Bailey. She's a big girl...size 3T already.

Kelly and I are gearing up for potty training. Bailey is ready. All that we need to do is get onboard and start the process. She tells us when she has peed and when she has pooped. Sometimes she is wrong, but she does try to tell us. We need to make it happen. For some reason, we haven't jumped on it. Not sure why.

My final piece of update is that I wanted to share my great weekend. I have spent a lot of time recently being frustrated and putting that out there. This weekend was such a departure from that frustration that I have to share it. Everything was basically normal, except that Kelly and I were gentle and kind to one another. We loved each other the way we used to when we have all kinds of free time and no worries other than each other. We spent all of the time that Bailey was sleeping over the couple of days together, rather than working or doing chores. We watched a movie, we snuggled in bed. We talked. We hugged. It was fantastic and much needed for both of us.

And then, on Sunday, Bailey and I had a completely fantastic day together. I'm not really sure why, but we just both really enjoyed each other all day. We played in the kitchen (her in the sink, me cooking and doing food prep for the week). Kelly watched football and did little stuff here and there. And then, at the end of the day, after being cooped up inside because of rain all weekend, Bailey and I went outside to play. I pushed her on her bike and we stomped in puddles in our bare feet. When it started to rain again, we ran inside to the garage. Bailey stood looking at the rain and then took my hand and pulled me out into it. She twirled around, getting soaked, and stamped her little feet in the puddles and giggled the whole time. We played in the rain together for about 15 minutes. At the end, we were both cold and wet and my soul was brimming with joy. That girl gets to the very best places in me. It's funny, ironic, perfect that it took my daughter pulling me out in the rain and twirling around to help me find my center.

1 comment:

Susanica said...

Awwww...sounds like a wonderful weekend. Glad you had it and that your orientation went so well. Have a wonderful day Mikki! -M