8/27/2008

Another Political Rant

After listening to Hillary (this morning) and reading and listening to commentary on the speech, I can say that I will cast my ballot and I will cast it for Obama.

I have to say, though, that I am not happy. I am just not a fan. Perhaps I am cynical beyond repair. Perhaps I am not ballsy enough to have bought the "audacity of hope" bullshit. But folks, I do believe that everything out of that man's mouth is bullshit.

I've said it before and I'll say it again. Change cannot, does not, and SHOULD NOT happen at the hands of one person. It should not happen quickly and it should not be undertaken because we are a nation that is in a frenzy of anger about the current environment. I get that everyone wants to believe that we've found our new Messiah. That we've found the guy who will take politics to a new level of respect and that we will all be able to focus on the objective and get the job done. I get that EVERYONE wants to believe that.

Here's the problem, though, folks.

#1 - not everyone has the same objective. There are many, many people out there who don't believe this war was a mistake. They don't think we should get out of it. They disagree with raising taxes to provide better health care, better schools, better highways. They are against civil liberties that I am for. They are against a women's right to choose. They believe that guns, in all forms, should be available. These people, and there are lots of them, are out there and they believe JUST AS STRONGLY in their positions as we believe in ours.

And, here's a thought...they are not wrong. They have the right and, in fact, the responsibility to believe what they feel is right and to fight for that. AND...they stand in the way of all this bullshit "change" theory that Obama is floating around. He can't just walk into office and disregard this HUGE group of voters and politicians. Even if he really believes he can. He will NOT succeed.

What's worse - he shouldn't succeed. How awful would this country be if we let one man (or even one party) decide what is best for all of us. Isn't that what we've all been bitching about for the last 8 years???

So, I'm not buying the "Yes we can" change shit. It's just that. It's shit. And if it actually does happen, I am going to be more pissed off than I will be when it doesn't happen.

#2 Problem - whether we like it or not, our system is bigger than a dream. Experience counts. If you don't believe that experience counts, just take a look at the last 8 years. We've had an inexperienced President before and look what has happened. I find it ironic, funny even, that so many Obama supports just gloss over the fact that he has very, very little national political experience and even less international political experience. Would you hire someone to run a college who had only spent 1 semester teaching freshman English? NO. Why not? Because they don't know to run a fucking college.

Same situation. It takes political savvy, support and EXPERIENCE to do a good job. Everyone seems to be bitching about entrenchment in the government...nothing like the "same old, same old" to piss everyone off. But come on, folks. Do you really want a novice running our country at such a crucial time? I don't.

With all this said, I'm voting for the man. Because I don't see any other option. I cannot, in good conscience, vote for McCain. While I think he is the more experienced candidate, and I believe he is more prepared to run the country, I can't vote Republican. On behalf of my wife, my daughter, our unborn child and myself, I will cast my vote for Obama.

But I don't think he can win. I think we're going to lose the White House. And my only hope in all of this is that when Hillary runs in 2012, we'll have snapped out of this stupid fucking rut that we've gotten ourselves into.

Audacity of hope you say? I've got none. The political system has failed me.

No comments: