7/30/2008

Wrong Impression

I may have given the wrong impression yesterday - Kelly and I are not struggling. At all. I was only voicing my thought that it's hard sometimes to have to work through relationship bumps when you're so busy doing other stuff. The point, and I made it badly, was that I can understand why and how so many relationship fail after a child is brought in.

In any event, we are not struggling at all. In fact, it's quite the opposite. Having my wife pregnant has reminded me a million times over why I love her so much. Kelly is not often "weak" in a visible sort of way. I know her better than anyone, so I know that she is actually a huge, huge softie under her exterior. But for the most part, what she presents to the world is that of a pretty tough chick, with a rational logical mind driving her decisions. She doesn't often waver in her decisions and rarely second-guesses herself. Or at least, that is what the world sees.

But this pregnancy has reduced Kelly to a much more obvious vaulnerable state. She cannot hide that she feels like shit or that the most basic tasks make her exhausted and naseated. She can't pretend to feel normal. She can't ignore the hormones that race through her. She just can't.

Seeing her in this way makes me love her more than I ever thought possible. I feel very protective of her. If someone were to make her cry, they would not be happy with the outcome. I feel like it is my job, my duty, my responsibility to carry as much of the burden as I can while she works through this.

And while I may sometimes bitch about the strain of that on my shoulders, I wouldn't change it for a second. This is my wife. I love her.

No comments: