11/09/2007

On and Off

So, she slept with us on Wednesday night, but last night had another great all night sleep-fest. In fact, she's still sleeping now. I have to wake her up in just a minute.

Not sure what the new routine is all about. We're working on letting her get it worked out on her own. It's hard. I hate to hear her cry.

Anyway.

Yesterday she was enjoying a teething biscuit in her high chair while I was cleaning up the kitchen and prepping the bottles. She was literally five feet away from me. She had been going at her biscuit for about 15 minutes when I heard her start to cough. I looked over and saw that she wasn't coughing...she was choking. Within seconds I had rushed to her and, using the skills I learned in our baby first aid class, pulled the obstruction from her throat.

What had happened was that the biscuit had gotten soft enough for her to break if apart with her gums. A small piece broke off and lodged itself in her throat.

Needless to say, I'm extremely happy that I had both the knowledge of what to do (although, it was kind of common sense) and that it wasn't a bigger issue. We now have a rule that, until she actually has real teeth, we'll be taking the biscuits away after 10-15 minutes!

2 comments:

Susanica said...

Hi Mikki. Wow. How scary that Bailey was choking. Thank goodness you knew what to do and could remove the obstruction right away. We hope that the good sleeping continues and that you all have a wonderful weekend. -Monica (Susi and Danny too)

specks0615@aol.com said...

LMFO - baby mamma drama! ms. b. is showing off! you know she got skeeeeels and know's how to work dat mouth! and mikki, girl, we all know ur pack'n skills! all mothers, mammas, mommies, and baby mammah's mothers' instincts always kick in - & Babies and Angels "r ride-er-die God's peeps!" He watches over them. glad y'all got some zzzzzzz's.. y'all doin dah dang thang. wait until u have to go fishin somewhere else on ms. b? (psyche!) -- peace & luv, karen