8/08/2007

Politics, Politics, Politics

Well, I've decided to cast aside any doubts that I may have and am throwing my support to Hillary Clinton for President in 2008. I must say that I've waffled back and forth a lot on this issue, but in the end, it has come down to two things:

1) She's got the most (and the best) experience for the job. I'm sure some would debate this point, but let's face it - she spent 8 years work side-by-side husband while he was in office. And they were a 8 FABULOUS years.

2) She's a woman. Pure and simple. We need to smash the glass ceiling and get a woman into office. This isn't the only reason - I wouldn't vote for someone that I don't believe in - but it matters. A lot.

Many have said that Hillary will divide the country (I was one of them), but I think that anyone will divide the country. Electoral politics are devisive no matter who we're talking about. I think looking for someone who is going to placate the country is the wrong approach...and I was misguided in thinking that would be good. We need to be fired up. We need to care. And if it takes a little controversy to do that, so be it.

So...I'll be voting for Hillary in the primary. I'll hopefully be voting for her in the general election. And on election night, I hope that I will be holding my daughter, sitting next to my partner and celebrating a victory for Democrats and women everywhere!

No comments: