1/22/2007

Lots of News

First - take a look at our ticker! We have 100 DAYS to go! Tomorrow, we will officially be in double digits. I am beyond excited. Every day brings more growth, and now I can feel it. Our Little Honey moves alot...and I mean A LOT. I feel him/her constantly, and while I absolutely love that, I also recognize that 100 days from now, it's not gonna feel so pleasant anymore. But, for now, I can't bitch about it. It's amazing.

We met with a doula last night in our home. I can say only that she was absolutely amazing. In all the ways that we need her, she can provide us the support that we need. We hired her on the spot. She is an older woman who has been a practicing doula since 1988. She's attended 335 births, so she's got the experience that we wanted. She was extraordinarily comfortable and easy to be with. She brought with her a calming presence...which is just what we'll need as we navigate birth without medication or medical intervention. Many people don't understand how important this is to me. I DO NOT want this experience to be lost in medicine. People have said a million times to me "just wait...you'll change your mind." And while I can't say that I won't, I can say that we have now done everything we can to put the tools in place that will get us through it without the drugs. I want to remember this as the greatest day of my life (next to the day that I met the love of my life...). I want to feel it. I want to be in the moment and part of it. When I push our child out of my body, I want to be a part of every second, every moment. Our doula will help us do that. Acting as a support to Kelly and I, she will provide that extra touch that the nursing staff and doctors cannot.

Additionally, we have signed up for her birthing class. We will be one of two other couples (for a total of six of us). The course teaches the Bradley Method of childbirth, which stresses natural, partner-coached birthing as the primary birth method. Here's a link if you want more information: http://www.bradleybirth.com/. In fact, they say that of over 200,000 Bradley-trained couples, 86% of them have spontaneous, natural, vaginal deliveries. Which is what I want. I will not induce unless there is a medical reason for it...and going two weeks longer than my due date is NOT a medical reason...unless the baby is in danger.

I want this enough to work really hard to get it. I know that many of our loyal readers (LOL) don't understand, but I can't stress enough that this is something that has been ingrained in me since childhood. It's something I have always wanted for myself. I'm not afraid of childbirth - at least, not more than the next first-time mother. But I do believe that my body has the ability to do this on it's own. And with my amazing partner by my side, and now our doula, I have no doubt that I can get through this without drugs, without intervention and with an experience that I will remember until the day that I die.

So...other than that, the weekend was tame. We had a wonderful, wonderful time hanging out at M&S's home on Saturday night. I just love hanging out with other lesbian couples who are forging through with thier lives. It's comfortable and easy. Kelly and I don't have to hide our affection for each other and we don't have to "explain" the differences constantly. It's just easy, fun and safe. I love our friends dearly!

And, of course, the absolutely FABULOUS news of Hillary running broke this weekend. I am so happy that I can't even begin to talk about it yet. Needless to say, my vote is decided in the primaries and if she can make it through the primaries, I'll be on her team fighting to get her in office. In fact, if I can find the time between raising a child, being a wife, commuting and working, I will volunteer my efforts. Bless her for putting herself out there for all women and all democrats. We NEED a voice like hers.

Happy Monday, everyone!

2 comments:

Student said...

I just wanted to express my support for your wanting a delivery without medical intervention. I was surprised at the number of people who tried to discourage that desire in me. Even my pediatrician told me not to rule out the possibility of deciding to use drugs! Stick to your guns - you'll be glad you did!

Mikki said...

Thanks so much for the support! I've been shocked by the number of people who discourage, or roll their eyes, or who believe that their experience negates my own. I don't want to offend anyone by my choices, but I truly beleive that natural childbirth is the BEST route for the child, the birth mother and her partner (if one happens to exist). I appreciate all the words of encouragement...because they truly have been few and far in between.

Thank you so much...